Do you have a favorite simple treat that never fails to delight? For my cousin Dustin, it is Bird’s Nest Cookies. I made these 4 ingredient cookies on a whim one Easter years ago. Now, he makes sure to remind me several weeks before Easter every year that he loves them—just in time for me to start searching for the pastel Almond M&M’s. Just like hunting Easter Eggs in tall grass, Almond M&M’s tend to be elusive in my neck of the woods. Usually, I can find one or two stores that have them. This year…no luck! The major grocery stores around me weren’t carrying them. So, Amazon.com came to the rescue. I suppose I could have substituted other egg shaped Easter candy, but why take the risk? Almond M&M’s are the bomb!
And while this recipe is so easy, I am thinking that Dustin could even make it for himself whenever he wanted, he and I both know that I love making these sweet bird’s nests for him every year. It’s job security I suppose. Happy Easter Dustin!
Bird’s Nest Cookies
2 eleven ounce bags of butterscotch chips
1 cup Peanut Butter
1 twelve ounce bag of Chow Mein Noodles
1 large bag of pastel Almond M & M’s (or your favorite egg shaped candy)
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil for the bird’s nests to set up.
- Add butterscotch chips to a microwave safe bowl. Melt chips in the microwave by microwaving at full power for 1 minute, stir and continue microwaving 30 seconds at a time. Stir after each 30 second interval until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of peanut butter to melted butterscotch chips. Stir until well blended with the butterscotch, microwave for 30 seconds more, if necessary to blend both peanut butter and butterscotch.
- Add chow mein noodles to a large mixing bowl.
- Remove ¼ cup of the butterscotch/peanut butter and reserve.
- Pour remaining butterscotch/peanut butter mixture over the chow mein noodles and stir until the chow mein noodles are well covered.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop small mounds of the covered chow mein noodles onto parchment paper or foil.
- Partially dip pastel Almond M&M’s in the reserved butterscotch/peanut butter mixture to act as “glue” to hold the eggs to the “nest.”
- Place the M&M’s dipped side down in the center of each nest.
- Allow all the bird’s nests to cool and set up.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container until ready to serve.