Some vegetables just lend themselves to roasting-others, like asparagus, require a leap of faith. When I was expecting my second child, pinched for time and ideas to get a delicious healthy dinner on the table, I wondered, what if….what if I added sliced vegetable to a pan and let the oven do the heavy lifting? The result was all that I had hoped for –the veggies tasted great, the cooking effort was minimal, and the basic technique lends itself to a variety of vegetables and the addition of fresh herbs. Nearly any vegetable can be added or swapped for a great side dish. Have zucchini and yellow squash, add those. Have fresh oregano, add that. You are limited only by your imagination.
About the same time that I developed my Roasted Asparagus Medley, I also tried goat cheese for the first time. I was immediately hooked! At nearly every opportunity, I add goat cheese to dishes. Goat cheese on toasted French bread slices topped with pitted, sliced kalamata olives are one of my favorite party foods.
This Roasted Asparagus Medley also welcomes goat cheese. In this recipe, I used an herbed goat cheese from a local dairy, Bluejacket Dairy. If goat cheese doesn’t delight your taste buds, just leave it off and enjoy the veggies au natural…and think about trying goat cheese again!
Roasted Asparagus Medley
1 pound fresh asparagus spears
1 large sweet red pepper
1/2 pound baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
Several sprigs of thyme
3 TBSP Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Goat Cheese crumbles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Cut asparagus into three sections, about 2 inches long and add to roasting pan.
- Seed and slice the red pepper into slivers approximately the same size as the asparagus pieces and add to the asparagus.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and drizzle the vegetable trio with olive oil.
- Remove the thyme leaves from stems. Sprinkle leaves, salt and pepper over the vegetables.
- Lightly toss and roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, toss vegetables and return to oven for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once vegetables are roasted, remove from oven and place into a serving dish.
- Add goat cheese crumbles if desired and serve! Mom would be so proud of you and your vegetables!